Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Well You Gotta Have Friends!


The desire to have good friends has always been with me. I have always been what you might call "social" (or what my parents might have called embarrassing) as I constantly chatted up strangers as a child.


I remember, very clearly, filling out one of those, "I wish…, I hope…, I fear….," questionnaires in 3rd grade at Shades Mtn. Elementary school and writing: "I want…to have friends like in the Sprite commercials." What does that mean? You might ask…well, here ya go! :)


Did you see them? No, not the lady hiding a pig in her fur coat (what?!?), the girls sitting on the bench…thisclose to each other, laughing, being silly, not caring what anyone thought of them because they were in it together.
That's what I longed for, what I prayed for, for years and years and years...

My sister often sweetly tried to cheer me up by telling me that I had three sisters to be my friends. :) And that was very true, my sisters and I are very close and I love them so much. But I wanted friends that CHOSE me to be their friend, not because mom would ground them if they wouldn't let me play with them, but because they just wanted to be my friend.

I think God was teaching me so much through that time, how to rely on Him when I was lonely, to see that I wasn't always a good friend myself, and more…I think it also helped me to learn what a good friend is and what a good friend does.

Over and over again during this journey we've gotten to see what good friends (sisters, mothers, cousins, grandmothers, brothers, fathers, uncles, etc. included) look like.

Well…they look a lot like this:



These women (and the husbands, grandparents, etc. that stayed home and took care of the kids!) supported us in such a mighty way! They came out in DROVES to support our family through Jennifer & Brad Bradley's Fundraiser this past Sunday by creating beautiful hand painted frames that they got to take home.

Jennifer & Andrea Castleberry are some of the most creative women I know and create amazing art! Who wouldn't want to come learn from them and support a good cause in the process?!?

Not only did these women show their support by raising $800 ($800!!!!!) for us during this fundraiser, they have demonstrated their love and support to us over and over again through their friendship.

In addition to the Bradley's support through this fundraiser (and a repeat in October because there was such a great response!) and the Davis' support through our t-shirt fundraiser, the Schroeter's children set up a lemonade stand & raised money for us…the Diggs family is planning a Boston Butt sale…the Watson's will be hosting an Ugandan jewelry party…Mia Storia provided us with an outlet to share our story…many people have offered to donate items for a silent auction...not to mention the many who have sent money just because, or have sent an encouraging word or, most importantly, have been praying for our family.


Humbled, overwhelmed, grateful, blessed, in awe of what God is doing.
We have experienced all of these feelings and so much more!

Here's a little snippet from my journal during our January trip to Uganda….

{January 14th, 2012: …but seeing how loved we are, through the financial support, calls, emails, letters and gifts was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I will need to pull this journal out if I ever again feel lonely or without friends. God is so very very good. }

From day 1 Wes and I have been amazed over and over again by how God has used YOU to bless us. Thank you just doesn't seem like enough.

Ephesians 4:15-16 "Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body so that is builds itself up in love."

Much much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment