Saturday, December 1, 2012

Learning to Pray with Belief

A few weeks ago Dr. David Hogg served as a guest preacher at our church.  While preaching on Joy in Prayer & Thanksgiving leading up to the Thanksgiving holiday, he told a story from when he was in seminary.  A young African man was in his study group and asked for prayer about a serious situation regarding the safety of his wife and children while he was away at school.  On their next meeting, the rest of the group desperately wanted an update on the situation but the young man was surprised at their asking. "Didn't we ask God to protect them? Why would you then ask me if they were protected?" What faith.

Throughout this journey there has been a million times that I have prayed or asked for prayer about something and then stressed out like crazy about whether or not God would answer that prayer. How dumb am I?

The biggest example has obviously been in fundraising.  Over and over again I've crunched the numbers, over and over again I've tried to grab the reigns away from God and make things happen on my time instead of waiting on His, over and over again I've doubted…everything.  I KNOW God is in control, but I don't act like it very often.

Recently some sweet friends put on a fundraiser for us by selling smoked Boston Butts.  We were so humbled by their offer…and then I started worrying.  How many people have ordered?  How much money will we get?  What do we think we'll make total?  Did I tell enough people about it often enough?  We still have so much money to raise, what else can I do to get the word out?  Is my flyer snazzy enough?

It was exhausting because I was trying to do it all within my own power.  Finally, I said enough and let go.  The last count I got before I let go was around 25 butts.  The final count was 59 and we made around $1,000.  I'd definitely say God out sold me!

There is no doubt that I will have to learn this lesson a billion more times in the next 152 days (and the next 100 years!) but it was awesome to see what God can do in and through the people we love and that love us when we let go and let Him work.  We continually get sweet phone calls and emails encouraging us, asking how to pray for us and donating financially to our mission trip.  With a little more than 5 months to go, we have a little more than $5,000 to raise.  We are continually longing to be working on the ground in Uganda, to be with the people God has put such a love in our hearts for but we believe that this calling is from God and is in His will so we know He will make this a reality.  What an honor it is to be in this situation, seeing God work first hand despite my doubt and control issues!

Like Dr. Hogg's friend, I want to pray according to God's will, believing that He will answer me, without doubting that He will do what He's promised me He will.

"It is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us-whatever we ask-we know that we have what we asked of him." ~ 1John 5:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment