Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Worries, What Worries?

Today's daily devotional had to do with casting our cares into Jesus' capable hands. It includes an exercise of writing down the things we are worried about, praying about them as we give them over to God, and then destroying them, leaving them at the foot of the cross.

I don't consider myself to be a very worrisome person. Maybe I should say "didn't".

As I started to write down the things that I have worried about just today, I was shocked at the stack of little post-it notes that I amounted. Then I prayed that God would open my eyes to any worries I had forgotten that I try to handle myself, worry about constantly, or fret over. The stack got bigger.

Several of these worries had to do with Africa. How will people react if/when we go public? How will we survive financially? What if the reality of Africa is more than I can handle?

As I prayed over these worries individually, several bible verses came to mind.

How he cares for me much more than the birds but even they never have to worry about their lives. {Matthew 6:26} How God will give us the words to say when we need them. {Matthew 10:19} How He WANTS me to cast my cares upon Him because He loves me. {1Peter 5:7} How nothing can ever separate us from our God who loves us. {Romans 8:38} How He knows His plans for us. {Jeremiah 29:11}

How amazing is the gift of God's grace! What a joyfully awesome feeling, to know that He's got me. He has all of my worries, all of my stressors and He can handle them. What a peace I'm left with.

The picture above is what is left of my worries. If you want to know what they say you'll have to talk to Jesus, I left them all with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment